About B.I.L.

For questions other than below, please fill in the necessary information in the form and contact us by email.


I would like to apply from overseas. When is the application deadline?
For the April admission, the application period is from October 1st to the end of December. For the October admission, the application period is from April 1st to the end of July. However, as soon as the course becomes full, the application period closes.

I currently hold a dependent visa. Can I enroll at BIL?
If your visa period of stay is longer than the enrollment period at BIL and you are eligible for the admission, you can apply for BIL. Please inquire us about the application materials to be submitted. The regulation is the same for those who has a permanent resident, spouse or child of Japanese national, spouse or child of permanent resident or long-term resident.

Will I not be able to enroll at BIL if I do not have a Japanese guarantor?
In principle, a Japanese guarantor is necessary in order to apply for BIL. However, applicants from the countries where our overseas offices are located can use the school guarantee system and then a Japanese guarantor will not be necessary. For more information please contact us. For students from the countries where our overseas offices are not located and have plans to go on to Bunka Gakuen University, Bunka Fashion Graduate University, or Bunka Fashion College after graduating from Japanese Language Course at BIL, please contact us for more details.

I’m interested in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course. Is this course open to both foreigner and Japanese nationality?
Yes, of course. This course is open to anyone who passes the entrance examination. Your nationality or major in university is of no concern.
There are people with the following personal backgrounds among the students of Japanese Language Teacher Training Course.
・university graduates (majored in Japanese language, tourism studies, economics, science, etc.)
・business people
・language teachers (e.g. Japanese language teacher, English language teacher)
・people who visit Japan on working holiday
・people graduated from Japanese language school
・people who took Japanese language teaching course at other school

I’m Japanese and interested in Business Japanese Interpreting Course. Can I enroll to this course?
This course is mainly for international students. We don’t ask for your nationality. However, as the course curriculum is designed for people whose mother tongue is not Japanese, you can’t enroll to this course if your mother tongue is Japanese.


I am interested in Japanese Language Course but I have no knowledge of Japanese language. Will that be a problem?
It’s difficult to start studying at BIL with no Japanese language knowledge. You need those skills at least: You can read and write Japanese alphabets (Hiragana and Katakana); you know basic nouns, verbs and adjectives etc.; you can exchange easy conversations talking about your belongings, life customs and everyday occurrences etc.
On screening of Certificate of Eligibility for student visa at the Japanese Immigration Bureau, it is highly recommended for prospective students to have obtained level N5 (or higher) as a way of demonstrating their determination to learn the language.
The higher the level of Japanese proficiency, the smother the study at our school.

Are all Japanese language classes conducted in Japanese?
Yes, all classes are conducted in Japanese. The teachers will use easy-to-understand Japanese according to the level of the class.

Will there be any problem to study together with students from countries that use Kanji (Chinese characters)?
No, that will not be any problem. However, during the Kanji session, students from countries that use Kanji and students from countries that do not use Kanji will study in different classes.

Do you have classes for JLPT?
Yes and no. It depends on which class you are in. From September or October until the JLPT exam day in December, we hold class for JLPT every day for 1 period out of 5 periods we have per day. 1 period is 50 minutes. Besides the classes at school, we advise how to self-study for the JLPT exam by introducing workbooks. Classes other than the JLPT class, and grammar and vocabularies you study using textbooks at school strengthen your Japanese language skills and help you do well on the JLPT exam as well.

I am interested in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course but I have no experience in educational field. Will that be a problem?
Most of the students do not have experience in teaching Japanese language. Only some of the students have the experience and would like to brush up their skills. You will learn and practice everything from the beginning. After a year of study, you will be able to teach Japanese language.

I am interested in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course but I did not majored in Japanese language at university. I majored in science. Will that be a problem?
No, that will not be a problem. Only intermediate or higher level of Japanese language skill is required and the most important thing is the passion to study. Japanese Language Teacher Training Course is suited for a person who wants to become a Japanese language teacher.

I have heard that, in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course you will learn how to teach Japanese language only in Japanese. In the future, if I become a Japanese language teacher in my country, I may have to teach in my own language. I am worried that the teaching methods might be different.
The skill to use intermediary language in teaching is also important. However, what is more important is the skill to make the learner enjoy learning and speaking Japanese. The purpose of Japanese Language Teacher Training Course is to help you acquire that skill. By learning how to teach Japanese language only in Japanese, you will understand how to encourage the learner to communicate in Japanese comfortably. It will be very helpful even if you become a Japanese language teacher in your country.

What is the difference between studying Japanese language education at a graduate school and studying in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course at BIL?
At a graduate school, you have to decide a topic of research by yourself and write a thesis. However, in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course, you will learn things and techniques needed for teaching Japanese language and you will have a chance to practice what you learned. In other words, it is a practical course. After a year of study, you will be able to teach Japanese language. That is what makes this course different from studying at a graduate school.

Is it possible to study in Business Japanese Interpreting Course only for a year?
Technically Business Japanese Interpreting Course is a 2-year course but it is up to you if you decide to take the course only for a year. If you manage to get a job during the first year, decide to go back to your country and start your own business, or have your own circumstances, you can stop taking the course. However, you will not receive the diploma if you do not finish the second year of the course. The real purpose of Business Japanese Interpreting Course is not just to get a job but to help you acquire knowledge and skill set needed for a job. You will need 2 years to successfully learn everything.

Opportunities after Graduation

I am interested in Japanese Language Teacher Training Course. Are there any graduates who work as Japanese language teachers in Japan?
Yes, there are. At present the employment situation for Japanese language teacher is better than in the past. The demand for teachers who can speak their native languages also increases. However, some of the graduates went on to technical school, university or graduate school before working as Japanese language teachers. If you are graduated from a university, you might have a better chance at getting job in Japan.

Are there any kinds of jobs other than Japanese language teachers?
There are many opportunities after graduation, for example, working as a Japanese language teacher, going on to a university, or working in a company. There are also graduates who work as Japanese language teachers while having other jobs.

I would like to find a job in Japan after graduating from Business Japanese Interpreting Course. Is it more advantageous to have a university degree from my country?
Holding a university degree (4-year program) will give you more opportunities in finding jobs in Japan. However, there is an option to go on to a university in Japan if you have not graduated from a university in your country. Also, after finishing Business Japanese Interpreting Course, you will receive a diploma. Holding a diploma will allow you to apply for jobs in Japan. Many graduates are able to get jobs with the diploma from the course.

What kind of jobs do graduates of Business Japanese Interpreting Course have?
Our graduates work in many fields which allow them to utilize their language skills.
One of the things that Japanese companies (within Japan and overseas) expect from international students is the ability to translate and interpret. Business Japanese Interpreting Course provides many practical sessions which will help you get used to real work environments such as tour guide interpreting session and simultaneous interpreting session.

Student House

When do I find out which student house and room I am assigned to? When can I start living there?
Room assignments are made about a month before the entrance into BIL. Check-in into the student house for the April admission is April 1st and for the October admission, October 1st.

Can I continue living in the student house after graduation?
The basic rule is that you can live in the student house only while you are enrolled at BIL. Please understand that student houses only are for the new students who just arrived from abroad.

Campus Life

Can I work part-time after school?
To obtain permission to engage in a part-time work, you must apply for a "Permit to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted" at the Immigration Bureau. Also, you must follow the rules given below.
  1. The part-time job should not exceed 28 hours a week. Working over 28 hours a week is illegal and you may be deported from Japan if found by the Immigration Bureau.
  2. Jobs prohibited by BIL are not allowed. If you are discovered doing a prohibited job, you may be deported from Japan.
  3. During the first 3 months from the day of entrance, students of Japanese Language Course are not allowed to do a part-time job. We would like you to get use to life in Japan first.

I have heard that BIL has very strict requirements for the graduation. Is this true?
Yes. One of the requirements for the graduation is the attendance record of above 90% (80% for Business Japanese Interpreting Course). It may seem strict but every year over 80 percents of the students are able to graduate. Attendance affects the visa renewal process and your application for a higher level of education after graduating from BIL. Please make every effort to keep your attendance above 90%.

About Scholarships

Are there any scholarships for privately financed international students?
We don't offer any original scholarships. However, we can introduce you to the following scholarships, which have requirements such as grades and attendance rates.

Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students
BIL will select students with good attendance and academic results from the scholarship applicants and refer them to MEXT. Current students can apply.
Allowance: ¥48 , 000 per month
Period Granted: 12 months (From April to March of the following year)
Conditions: Students with “Student ” status of residence; students with good academic results; privately-financed students only, etc.
For details, please refer to JASSO webpage.
Kyoritsu Foundation Scholarship (Kyoritsu International Foundation)
BIL will select and refer to the foundation one Business Japanese Interpreting Course 1st year student with a good attendance and grade. The student can receive the scholarship in his/her 2nd year at BIL once the foundation selects the student as a recipient.
Allowance: ¥ 100 , 000 or ¥ 60 , 000 per month (Scholarship type will be decided by the foundation. One student from either of the scholarship types)
Period Granted: One year (April to next March)
Conditions: Privately-financed international students from Asian countries*1 who can participate in seminars held by the foundation and submit assignments (twice a year), etc.
*1“ Asian countries” here refers to the following countries: Republic of Korea, People’s Republic of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Mongolia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, India, SriLanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, East Timor, Brunei, or the Maldives.

Availability of scholarships is made known around the following time each year:
・Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students Around April for 12 -month
・Kyoritsu Foundation Scholarship (Kyoritsu International Foundation) In early November in the year before start receiving the scholarship



文化初級日本語 I・II

  1. 学習項目を選定し直し、提出順序も見直しました。
  2. 本文を見直し、より学習者に関連のある場面を取り上げました。
  3. 練習のバラエティを増やしました。代入練習だけでなく、運用力をつけるために必要な段階的な練習を多く盛り込みました。また、友達に自分のことを話す練習「友達と話しましょう」などを新しく設けました。





解答はありませんが、『文化初級日本語Ⅰ・Ⅱ 改訂版 教師用指導例集』には練習方法の例などが書いてありますので、参考にしてください。


『文化初級日本語Ⅰ・Ⅱ 改訂版 教師用指導例集』が凡人社から発売されています。

「行く」「行かない」「行かなかった」「楽しい」「楽しくない」「楽しかった」などの形を、このテキストでは「基本体」と呼んでいます。ほかの教科書では「普通形」「short form」「plain form」などの名称が使われています。
① メモ、日記、論文、新聞記事などの書き言葉に使われる文体。
② 親しい間柄の会話で使われる表現。
③ 文中で、「~と思う」「~からです」などのさまざまな文型に接続する形。

1コマ50分の授業で、本文、文型、練習(「チャレンジ!」や「友達と話しましょう」を含む)に必要な学習時間は、テキストⅠは約100コマ、テキストⅡは約80コマを想定しています。各課の指導の流れや時間数については『文化初級日本語Ⅰ・Ⅱ 改訂版 教師用指導例集』をご参照ください。



『文化初級日本語Ⅰ・Ⅱ 改訂版 教師用指導例集』に詳しい指導案が記載されていますので、そちらをご参照ください。




練習問題集の解答の/と(  )の違いは何ですか?
/はどちらでもよいもので、(  )は省略が可能なものです。


文化中級日本語 I



文化中級日本語 II


三重県のナガシマスパーランドにあります。 出版当時、世界最大の木造ジェットコースターとしてニュースになったので載せました。

81ページの下をご覧ください。 でも、68ページの目的は答えを当てることではなく、学習者自身の中にあるステレオタイプに気づいてもらうことなので、この答えにとらわれず、どうしてその国だと思ったのかという理由を話し合うようにしてください。 また、いろいろな国に対するイメージが薄く、答えを考えるのが難しいような場合は、血液型などの話題を出して「ステレオタイプ」について皆で話し合ってみてください。

第6課本文2は、百科事典の一部という想定で作りました。百科事典の見出し語として「だるま」「ダルマインコ」となっているのです。 「ダルマインコ」の部分は読まなくてもいいです。



楽しく聞こう 楽しく読もう 楽しく話そう